Monday, November 17, 2014

Taking a Break

Hello Friends! 

It's been a loooong time since I last blogged. In case you don't follow me on Facebook or Instagram, let me get you up to date.  This spring I baked a lot.  Then there was summer filled with weddings near and far.  While I thought I'd planned well to leave open dates for family time in the summer, I neglected to do so for the fall which led to lots more baking!  This year has been AH-mazing!  So what's up with the "Taking a Break" title?? 

I'm glad you asked and I'll try to keep this short as there are so many factors that have played into this decision process. 

Most of my working hours are Wed-Sun with a heavy emphasis on evenings and weekends.  With a husband and two growing (quickly!) kids on a Mon-Friday 8-3/5 schedule, plus other activities, that means plenty of precious time away from them, missing out on the fun stuff in life to tend to the sweet-toothed needs of others.

I've spent much of this year thinking about how to balance both work and family time/play.  What's the best next step for my business?  How can I be more efficient?  Make the most of my time and resources?  Should I hire someone?  Get a permanent space?  How do I continue to run a successful cupcake business and not eventually come to hate cupcakes and wonder who these people are living in my house?! 
 
With the recent and unexpected loss of a family member, finally tackling these questions with action has become a priority for me.  As much as I enjoy the creative outlet and social aspect this business has provided me, it is time to reconsider if the sacrifices necessary to continue doing so are worth it.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~J.R.R.Tolkien 



What does that mean to my clients?  After this weekend's wedding and orders, I will close shop until the New Year.  No more orders for 2014.  I do plan renew my license for 2015.  There are weddings on the calendar for next summer that I will honor and I have contacted those clients.  (If I have overlooked someone, please contact me soon!)   If you follow me on Facebook or Instagram just for the eye candy factor of seeing what I'm up to in the sugar world, have no fear.  I have plenty of wonderful friends I will forever be happy to bake for and share pictures with you there.  However, part of my taking a break over the next six weeks will include pursuing other areas of occupation that may work better with my family's schedule.  (Know of anyone looking to hire a friendly and hard working Interior Designer turned Baker?  Send 'em my way!)  Beyond that, I don't have all the answers to what this business will look like in 2015.  If you have any specific questions, I will do my best to address them via email at libbyscupcakesetc@gmail.com.

Finally, and most importantly... 

 
I wish I could adequately express how much I appreciate all of your support over the years.  Your kind words, thank you notes (I've kept them all!), and loyalty is what has inspired me to keep giving my best even when my enthusiasm was running low.  I've said many times how I have the best clients and that is SO true!  I really have enjoyed being a small part of BIG and little events in your life.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Much love until next time,
~Libby Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment