Monday, June 27, 2011

An Attempt at White Chocolate Cupcake + Raspberry BC

I am experimenting this week with some new recipes.  Today I tried a white chocolate cake recipe with fresh raspberry butter cream frosting.  I will be honest and say that they were just okay.  (I'm still waiting on reviews from the lucky taste testers.)

I have tried and failed at making white chocolate cupcakes before.  (All the chocolate, though melted smoothly and well incorporated into the batter, fell and formed a crust at the bottom while baking.  Boo!)  This recipe was much better.  It is from Tracey's Culinary Adventures blog.  (The cake recipe only.)  But for some reason I decided to use vanilla flavored almond milk instead of the regular milk it called for and I think it gave it too much of a nutty, almost meaty flavor.  Oh well. 

Minis

For the raspberry frosting, I cooked the raspberries with sugar and lemon juice until liquid-y, strained out the seeds, and added the cooled liquid part to regular butter cream frosting.  I was surprised at how well the frosting held together with the cooked raspberries as opposed to the fresh. (Too much fresh berry puree + frosting = one runny, clumpy mess. Another Booo!). 

Standard
In the end, they weren't so bad.  The raspberries on top certainly helped.  But I wish there was more white chocolate flavor in the cake part, and more raspberry in the frosting part.  They sure do look pretty though huh?   ;)

P.S.  Later this week, look for some Chocolate Nutella cupcakes, Coconut baby shower cupcakes, and maybe, just maybe, original Summer Shandy 4th of July cupcakes???  Ooooooh! 

3 comments:

  1. They look great! Scott says tall people like cupcakes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the best comment yet! I will hopefully have some on hand this weekend if we see you guys out! :)

    ReplyDelete