Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Food for Thought

Although I haven't baked any cupcakes this week, I have been very busy planning for a yard sale...and thinking a lot about this little cupcake business of mine...

I have been working with a graphic designer, who also happens to be a very good friend, on my business card design.  I have learned so many things through this process.  One is how difficult it is to achieve the casual, slightly vintage look I was going for.  It seems like it should be effortless.  But there is a fine line between too fussy and too plain.  I should know as much from working in interior design, but I think I've changed some in the last four years.  First of all, I am the client this go round.  That's different.  And I'm pretty sure what contractors say about designers being so difficult to work for is true for graphic designers too.  I admit, I wasn't an easy client.  (Sorry friend!)  Secondly, I may be ever so slightly more patient these days.  Please, hold your laughter.  ;)  The first design my friend showed me was beautiful and I loved it...but it wasn't quite there.  The more I looked at it the more I knew it needed editing.  In my youth (wink wink) I would probably have just gone with the first one, because truly it was good.  But I may have actually learned finally that some things take time.  Even fantastic business cards don't happen over night.  This is my advice to myself.  Take your time.  I think I'm getting there.

I digress... Back to the cards.  I think together, my very enduring graphic designer friend and I have achieved that ever elusive balance between too designed and too plain.  I hope to have the final copy at the end of this week and the printed ones next week to share with you!  We will also be changing this blog's design to match.  I can't wait!...I mean...maybe I can...?

For now, since I haven't given you any scrumptious cupcakes to drool over this week, I will share one of my go to cookie recipes.  I am baking these tonight for the kids to sale with their lemonade at our yard sale this week.  I've never met anyone who didn't like them, including my pickiest sweets eater and people who say they don't like coconut.  These are delicious!

Choco-Coconut Cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) of butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2-1/4 cups AP flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt (Heaping! I like to taste the contrasting salt in chocolate chip cookies.)
2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
2 cups flaked coconut

Preheat oven to 375.
Beat butter and sugar.  Add eggs one at a time.  Add vanilla.
In a separate bowl whisk dry ingredients together and slowly add to wet.
Stir in the coconut and chocolate chips.
Bake for 8-10 mins.
Technically this recipe makes about 60 but by the time you're ready to share, I promise there won't be that many on the rack!  Enjoy!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment