Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Rhubarb Crumble Pie

I made this for Father's Day because someone in our house LOVES rhubarb!
This is based on a recipe I found on allrecipes.com with the same name but with a few of my own additions/substitutions.
Note:  I approximate a lot.  


Ingredients:
1 cup AP flour
1 cup oats
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup white sugar
approx 2 Tbs brown sugar
pinch of cinnamon
dash of ground ginger
approx 1/3 cup melted butter
2 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb (I used frozen, straight from the freezer)
4-6 ripe strawberries chopped
approx 2 Tbs butter, in pats
approx 1/4 cup of white sugar (orig recipe called for 1/2 cup, but that seemed too much)
zest of half a lemon - THIS IS KEY!  Don't make it unless you have a lemon to zest!!!  :)

Directions:
Mix the first seven dry ingredients.  Add melted butter and mix with your hands until it's crumbly.  
Press half of the crumbly mixture into a 9" glass pie plate.
Throw in the rhubarb and chopped strawberries.  Top with pats of cold butter.
Zest the lemon with your fancy Microplane zester you got for Mother's Day.
(And if you don't have one, buy it!)

 Pour the sugar over the fruit.
Top with the other half of the crumbly mixture.
Bake in a preheated oven at 350dF for approx 35 mins.

When it's done, forget about taking a picture of the beautiful and delicious final product and eat it right out of the oven....

...or right out of the fridge later in the evening. 

It also might be good with ice cream....or fresh whipped cream...not that I would know.  ;)


1 comment:

  1. This looks sooo yummy! I LOVE rhubarb! I am certainly going to give this a try... but first I need some rhubarb! :O)

    ReplyDelete