Monday, June 6, 2011

It's that time again.

I started working on Wedding #3 today.  It is one of two weddings I have to bake for on June 18th.  For this wedding I have 240 cupcakes and a small two tiered cake to make.  There will be four different cupcake designs including two different black daisy designs and two different black and while polka dot designs.  Both with hot pink accents.  All will be with pink velvet cake.  The black fondant is, believe it or not, home made!  My hands were purple for two days (that's what black dye fades to).  I should invest in food safe gloves...

When I made black dasies the first time and told my mom about them, I could hear her nose turn up over the phone.  They are actually very chic looking.  I think even she agreed in the end.  :)
Although these are obviously cut with a cutter, I impress each petal individually by hand then let the flowers dry in egg cartons so they shape like this.  I got the idea from a book called Organic and Chic by Sarah Magid.  I love her work!
Note to self:  The next time I design a cupcake with 7 polka dots on the top of each, make sure I don't have to make 60 of them.  What is 60 x 7?  Yeah.

Then after dinner we decided to make Banana Nut Minis. 
When I bake for the family I try to bake with our health in mind.  These are half whole wheat and use applesauce in place of most of the oil.  But then I like to top them with butter when they're warm, so there goes that.  :)

2 comments:

  1. where do you get wrappers that stay the color after they are baked. The pretty ones I have bought once baked they aren't so pretty!? and those banana nut minis look yummy.... I think I am getting a craving for a cupcake of some kind! ummmm... I wonder why?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nina, You are too funny! I got these liners at Michaels. Some of them did great and others, like you say, turn brown when baked. I often get solid colored grease proof ones at a local cake supply store. The grease proof is a must for not turning! :) I'm so glad you're enjoying the blog! As I'm sure you know, it's a lot of work!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete